After 5 weeks I have received my CNC cut borosilicate glass for the VAT floor. If you want to read about it…Small post here
With the borosilicate I ordered 10mm soda-lime build base Z axis glass. Green glass compared to Borosilicate below:
It is clear why it is called “green” glass. Here are some more comparison shots 5.5mm Borosilicate vs 5mm soda-lime:
When I cleaned the borosilicate glass it was like looking through air! Amazing!
The glass was one of my major components. From here I can mount the VAT tilt, the Z Axis height and VAT tilt linear slide.
I also have some small resin samples ( 10ml ) coming in next week from Dymax.
I will experiment with the regular Soda lime vs Borosilicate and let you know.
I have spread some silicone on a glass piece and placed 4 different foils on it. I placed another thick glass on top and clamped down. Left it for 2 days.
From Left to Right below:
Window PVC Foil, Backing foil from PVC Foil, Flower cellophane foil and A3 blueprints protector sheets.
The A3 blueprints protector is quite thick. It cured on the sides but in the center it stayed a little wet after 2 days:
The Flower Cellophane foil was next and the silicone DID NOT dry at all. It stayed wet and sticky:
The PVC Foil Backing was next. I could not get it peeled off.The silicone was solidly stuck to the foil and glass:
Next was the PVC backing itself. It is textured on one side and absolutely smooth on the other:
IT WAS PERFECT! The silicone has dried underneath and was easy to peel off. The surface was smooth and as you will see perfectly transparent:
The PVC Foil looks like this:
It is used as a security foil or when you need to texture the glass on your windows. I have bought it from Mr Bricolage, but it is available in Praktiker or other stores. In the US you should be able to find something similar in Lowe’s, Home Depot or Ace Hardware .
I will be coating the regular sized 150mm X 150mm glass with silicone next.
Time to setup another test. I am trying to create a dam wall for the silicone coated VAT, that I have not yet built. I will have details on the experiment with glass and different foil in an attempt to create a thin coating of silicone on the VAT glass.
I have found an aluminum I-beam with unequal sides. One side is 7mm high and the other is 5mm. Width is 17mm. I filled the channel with silicone and let it dry for 3-4 days outside (still relatively warm here – 24C during the day). It solidified and used an exacto knife to separate the sides and lift the silicone.
I used a business card to smooth the silicone while still wet. Put it in the pipe from the lens assembly spacer post to keep it from dust.